HAMPTON, Va. (Oct. 14, 2022) – Sentara has provided funding to Hampton University for a program entitled: Diversifying the Healthcare Workforce to Create Healthier Communities. The gift is $850,000 and is designed to increase and grow the number of diverse healthcare professionals in Hampton Roads and to combat challenges in the delivery of healthcare to underserved populations.
The funded program elements include:
- Sentara Healthcare - Current Use Scholarship for Nursing Students
- Provides academic support to students in four-year Nursing degree programs in Health Sciences and Community Health Promotion, as well as the RN to BSN degree programs, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Health Information Management, Physical Therapy, Pre-Medical, Occupational Therapy and other similar health professions.
- Sentara Healthcare - Endowed Scholarship for Nursing Students
- Provides academic support to students in four-year Nursing degree programs in Health Sciences and Community Health Promotion, as well as the RN to BSN degree programs. Recipients may be of sophomore, junior, or senior classification, hold a minimum 2.75 cumulative grade point average, and demonstrate financial need, as determined by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.
- Sentara Healthcare - Community Engagement Program
- The Community Health & Wellness Mobile Clinic will serve targeted areas of healthcare education needs in Hampton Roads. It is an outreach and health initiative to build stronger and healthier communities in the region. The focus is to provide healthcare education services for those in underserved urban communities as well as those in rural areas. The activities to be managed by HU faculty and students will include screenings to help in the identification of chronic diseases. Screenings will include those for vision, blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar/capillary tests, risk-for-fall screenings, body mass indices, and COVID-19.
- Following are among the organizations that are invited to be part of the outreach program.
- Newport News Public City Schools
- Hampton Public City Schools
- Somerset at Town Center
- Sinclair Commons
- Olde Towne Medical & Dental Clinic
- The Woodlands
- Western Tidewater Free Clinic (Suffolk)
- Surry High School
- Newport News Department of Social Services & Department of Health
For more information, contact the Office of University Relations at 757.727.5253.
About Hampton University
Hampton University is a comprehensive institution of higher education, dedicated to the promotion of learning, building of character and preparation of promising students for positions of leadership and service. Its curriculum emphasis is scientific and professional with a strong liberal arts under girding. In carrying out its mission, the University requires that everything that it does be of the highest quality. Research and public service are integral parts of Hampton's mission. In achieving its mission, Hampton University offers exemplary programs and opportunities that enable students, faculty and staff to grow, develop and contribute to our society in a productive and useful manner.
About Sentara Healthcare
Sentara Healthcare has a long history of innovation, compassion and community benefit. Sentara Healthcare is a not-for-profit healthcare organization serving Virginia and northeastern North Carolina. Sentara Healthcare is comprised of 12 acute care hospitals with more than 300 sites of care all throughout Virginia and northeastern North Carolina and beyond. Sentara Healthcare celebrates more than 130 years in pursuit of its mission – “we improve health every day.” Sentara is an integrated, not-for-profit health care delivery system with more than 29,000 employees, including 1,375 physicians and advanced practice providers.