HAMPTON, Va. (January 7, 2019) – Hampton University Chancellor and Provost, Dr. JoAnn W. Haysbert, greeted the Hampton University faculty at the 2018 Winter Educational Staff Institute on January 2, 2019. The theme for this year’s institute is “Back to the Basics: Building Character Across the Millennials, Generations X and Z, Part II.”
“The Faculty Institute is an annual educational training for existing faculty. It is also the perfect opportunity to welcome our new faculty to our ‘Home by the Sea,’” said Hampton University President, Dr. William R. Harvey.
At the Institute, several faculty members received the Academic Excellence Faculty Award. Honorees were recognized for their efforts by Haysbert and their respective Deans.
Each dean developed a set of criteria for the selection from his/her respective academic unit. The selected professors demonstrate innovation in teaching, the ability to motivate students, maintenance of high academic requirements and standards and the ability to keep pace with current theories and practices in his/her disciplines.
The 2018 recipients of the award are:
- Dr. Jerald Dumas, School of Engineering and Technology
- Mr. Butch Maier, Scripps Howard School of Journalism and Communications
- Dr. David Hunter, School of Liberal Arts and Education
- Ms. Twanda Toliver Gainer, School of Nursing
- Dr. Neelam Azad, School of Pharmacy
- Dr. Cindy Thomas-Charles, School of Science